These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Heal Our Backslidings

Jeremiah 3:12 "Return, backsliding Israel, says the Lord; I will not cause my anger to fall on you. For I am merciful, says the Lord; I will not remain angry forever. Only acknowledge your iniquity."

Why do we try to hide the secret things of our hearts when He knows anyway? All He wants is for us to be open and honest with Him. We always try to hide our weaknesses and failures. He knows we are flawed. He loves us just as we are. He tells us in verse 15, "And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding."

Once we acknowledge our weaknesses and failures, take off the "fake facade", He has promised to bring us knowledge and understaning. He promised to lead us to the right "shepherd" in our lives. Verse 22: "Return, you backsliding children, And I will heal your backslidings."

What area of my life am I "backsliding" in? To backslide is to turn back or away from God. Is there something I am trying to control myself or figure out with my methods? If so, I am turning back from His plan. His plan is for me to lay all my cares upon Him.

James 4:7 says "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin."

Maybe it's what I'm NOT doing, that is a "backsliding" in my life. I want to daily check myself at the cross for His plan for my day, His cleansing of my heart, His perspective, His vision for my life. It's the only way to ensure that I am not giving in to a backsliding heart.

No comments: