These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

No Compromise

Daniel 1:8 "But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself."

I had to look up this passage after hearing these whispers from Him:

"There is power in being set apart for Me. Daniel is a clear example. He purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies. He would not compromise his commitment, his covenant with Me, to conform to his surroundings. Standing apart from the mainstream crowd comes at a great price. Make an even greater commitment to Me and watch what I will do. I honor sacrifice. Catch My vision of a dying, hurting, broken humanity. Only I hold the answer to their brokenness, hurting, and their wounds. Cry out for them. Let your intercessions bring them to Me."

In Daniel's time, their dietary laws were a big part of their covenant with God. It was a consecration, a requirement. What is He requiring of you? Are you blending in with those around you because it's easier than whatever sacrifice He's asked of you? Stand out from the crowd in your thinking, your actions, your purpose. He didn't call us to "go with the flow". We are salt and light to this world. Salt rubs against the grain. It irritates. You know it's there. (this isn't an excuse to irritate people, by the way!). Do you make a difference in the lives you come in contact with or do they hardly notice anything different about you? I pray that people are challenged and changed by having known me. I pray I can be what He wants me to be. I pray that nothing shakes my commitment and covenant with Him. Lord, let me be unwavering in all you've asked of me. Your coming is too soon for me to be compromising what you've asked me to do.

No comments: