These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Friday, October 31, 2008

Crosses

The word "Christian" is such a vague word when you think about it... so many people refer to themselves as Christians. I looked up the definition of a Christian... just for discussion sake... it says one who adheres to the life and teaching of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. By that definition, we will surely all fall short in so many different areas. I can't even begin to name them all... one, for instance, is cross bearing.

His way is the way of the cross. We want to line up for all He has for us but we don't want any suffering. However, in His Word (that we're adhering to...) it says... Luke 14:27 "And whosoever doth not bear his cross and come after me cannot be my disciple." Disciple is actually (in a "roundabout" way... through the Latin) a root word for discipline. If we discipline ourselves in prayer, fasting and reading the Word, the "cross bearing" will be so much easier. II Tim 2:12 says "If we suffer, we shall also reign with Him..."

Psalm 32: 8-9 "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go; I will guide thee with Mine eye. Be ye not as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they not come near unto thee."

My goal and prayer... "Lord, let me be a good student (disciple)... eager, ready, willing and sensitive to each turn the you lead me on. I want to be willingly led by you. Let me not resist your guiding hand... even when I don't understand what you're doing or how you could possibly be in it. You see the end from the beginning... even when there's a little suffering in between.

No comments: