These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Do I share?

I read this very interesting verse that hit me really hard... Acts 4:32 (NKJV) "Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common."

They met the needs of others out of their resources. I John 3:17 (AMP) "But if anyone has this world's goods (resources for sustaining life) and sees his brother and fellow believer in need, yet closes his heart of compassion against him, how can the love of God live and remain in him?"

Wow! It's a scary thought that if I don't have compassion, then His love does not live and dwell in me. Do I hold all I have with OPEN hands? ...am I willing to give at all times to a brother or sister in need? This whole vein of thought has caused us to realign some things in our lives. Our society tells us it's never enough... we always need something more, something newer, better... our decor is outdated so quickly... we have to update... and on and on it goes... there's always a better, more updated gadget that we need! ME, ME, ME! Feed my need for more! And so, we become so stretched financially that we aren't using our resources for the purpose He intends.

According to Acts 4:35--37, the believers would give their money to the apostles who would distribute it according to the need. What a lesson in denying yourself! We always want ownership, entitlement--give me what's my portion!

I want to do better! I pray He helps us have more of a "funnel" mentality than an ownership mentality. All that we have is His... James 1:17 says "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

3 comments:

Living the Good Life said...

Wow, after reading your blog posts I think you should have started blogging much sooner!!! Some really good stuff! Thanks for sharing your blog with me! I will definitely be an avid reader!

Gald to have you as my bloggy friend and my family!
Kayla

~Val said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Val said...

When disaster hit our area, you gave, time, work, desire to help. When people at church are downhearted, or tired, we look up and see your very chronic smile, and it's uplifting. In my book, that's pretty much as good as what they did in the Book of Acts!

P.S. Glad you found my blog so I could find yours. Good stuff up in your head! Just sharing what's in your head fulfills what you speak of in this blog entry!

Valarie
ValsWhimsy http://valdassi.com