These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Friday, April 17, 2009

Distractions

So... I have finally succombed to the pressure and joined Facebook. My hesitation has always been that it would take up more of my time than I am willing to part with. Concerns confirmed! Now don't get me wrong... I love it! That's the problem.

Phillipians 4:5 says "...Let your moderation be known unto all men..." I'm no Bible scholar but I wonder if that's what He meant... By definition, moderation is "being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme."

Moderation can be such a hard thing... just look at our obesity rate here in the good 'ole USA. We have overdosed on all that entertains our old stinkin' flesh!

Noise, noise, noise... I know I've blogged about this before, but it's really "buggin'" me... I love to walk and I have opted to walk in silence. There is nothing like the renewing of the mind I feel when I am in silence. For the most part, I've even started driving in silence (when I'm alone, of course). I do walk with my cell phone (for safety reasons) but I also found that the "notes" section of my phone is handy for those times when I feel Him speaking so subtly into my spirit. This is what I felt him nudging me to type as I walked yesterday...

"Why do people love noise? They surround themselves with it. They bring it along... headphones everywhere! Why is man so afraid of conversation with Me? I created man to commune with Me yet he continually chooses busyness and noise over quiet times with Me. I only want a willing vessel to move through. I'm not looking for perfection... only availability."

Those aren't condeming words from me... only fleeting "whispers" from a Savior who loves me and continually challenges my thought processes. Now I must deal with another distraction that I've created in my life. I want to have moderation in all things. I don't want there to be any one thing that keeps me from tuning into Him completely.

Hebrews 12:1 "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,"

It's the "weights" that get us... no, they aren't sin. They are just distractions... things to consume our time... our precious time. I want to guard my time with Him. I pray that I can make Him, time with Him, a top priority in my busy, distracted day EVERY DAY!

1 comment:

Kensie said...

I enjoy being in silence too! Thats when God speaks to me, and most of the time, I'm not even expecting it.
Glad to be your blog follower! :)