These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Friday, August 21, 2009

The Slow Fade of Turning TOWARD Him

I want to talk about another slow fade…

Slow Fade is an incredible song, but wasn’t what started me on this vein of thought. He began whispering to me about this last week. I believe it was Tuesday morning. I woke up heard my own voice saying these words (though I wasn’t actually speaking)… “and when the earth fades, falls from my eyes, and you stand before me, I know you love me.” As you may know, these are the words to the song “At the Cross”. The weird thing is, I wasn’t singing these words. I was saying them. I looked up the lyrics to this song so I could digest it piece by piece to see what He may be saying to me. The lyrics are:

OH LORD YOU’VE SEARCHED ME
YOU KNOW MY WAY
EVEN WHEN I FAIL YOU
I KNOW YOU LOVE ME

YOUR HOLY PRESENCE
SURROUNDING ME
IN EVERY SEASON
I KNOW YOU LOVE ME
I KNOW YOU LOVE ME

AT THE CROSS I BOW MY KNEE
WHERE YOUR BLOOD WAS SHED FOR ME
THERE’S NO GREATER LOVE THAN THIS
YOU HAVE OVERCOME THE GRAVE
YOUR GLORY FILLS THE HIGHEST PLACE
WHAT CAN SEPARATE ME NOW?

YOU GO BEFORE ME
YOU SHIELD MY WAY
YOUR HAND UPHOLDS ME
I KNOW YOU LOVE ME

YOU TORE THE VEIL
YOU MADE A WAY
WHEN YOU SAID THAT IT IS DONE

AND WHEN THE EARTH FADES
FALLS FROM MY EYES
AND YOU STAND BEFORE ME
I KNOW YOU LOVE ME

I began searching out the scriptures to be sure I searched out every possible thing He could be saying. I thought of how we no longer have to go through a priest like they did in the Old Testament. He tore the veil. He made a way. We have full access to His throne, but do we really take advantage of that? Do we come boldly?

Then I began to think about that phrase… I’ve always interpreted those words as the end of time when we stand before Him. There are verses about the earth fading. In prayer He started showing me the deeper meaning… and no doubt, this is what Darlene Zschech and Reuben Morgan had in mind when they wrote this God inspired song. It’s when we let the earth fade… the things of earth fade away from our vision… all we see is Him before us. Suddenly, all things are in proper perspective. I’ve been digesting this song for the last 2 weeks. He reminded me of a message I heard as a teenager that was titled “The Danger of the Gradual”. I couldn’t tell you who preached this message, but the words have forever been stamped on my heart. It’s the little things that pull us away from Him. It’s the little things that creep into our marriages… just like we saw in the video. BUT… what if we have the opposite slow fade…

James 4:8 “Draw nigh to God and he will draw nigh to you…”

What if we slowly begin to find moments for prayer… just a fleeting prayer at first, but then we suddenly feel compelled to get alone with him. We are seeking out quiet places where we can bear our souls and our burdens to Him… or just tell Him how grateful we are that He has allowed us to be born into a country where we can enjoy the freedom of worship… thank Him for health & strength. What if we found ourselves desperate for His perspective… for His direction… for His vision for us… what if we suddenly anticipated with eagerness, praying a prayer shift? What if suddenly I feel love for everyone I come in contact with… even if they are difficult… what if I start reflecting His image in my life? What if I’m not so concerned about “getting my way” all the time or how will this affect me? What if I suddenly wasn’t concerned about what this world calls beauty and I let it be the hidden man of the heart, an ornament of a meek and quiet spirit that Paul talked about in I Peter 3:4? What if I could stand before my peers and declare “thus saith the Lord” and not worry about what they will say or if they will believe me because I know YOUR voice… your voice above all others…

What if suddenly we wake up one day and we realized that the earth has faded from our eyes… we are now seeing Him before us instead of the world’s perspective… we are seeing through eyes of faith… we aren’t affected by our surroundings and circumstances no matter what they are. What if we see Him standing before us and suddenly we begin to realize just a portion of the depth of His love for us? That changes everything! If we ever really “get” how much He loves us, we won’t be afraid… we won’t be intimidated. We will have the understanding that we truly are unstoppable… not even death has a hold on us for to live is Christ to die is gain! (Philippians 1:21)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOY0mjjmx8Y

No comments: