These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Spiritually Fit or Spiritually Fat?

I guess this is really part 3 of the whole "Love in Action" thoughts... yesterday I mentioned about how we can become spiritually "fat" if we are only taking in and never giving out. Not everyone knows this, but in high school Bryan lost 80 lbs and I too, struggled with my weight and eating disorders through the teen years and my early 20's. Because of that, we are very conscious of what we eat. One thing I know is that to maintain a certain weight, you have to take in a balance of what you will exert out. For instance, if you LOVE to eat and indulge in fattening foods, you better offset it with some output of energy or it will stick to you and you will end up quite "fluffy"... :) It's no different in God's Kingdom. We are lazy, fat Christians if we only take in the wonderful, rich teachings and "spiritual food" and don't give what we've attained out to others. We should be conscious of what's been given to us. All of us have someone that we can pour into.

Ephesians 4: 15 “But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:”

The Amplified says “Rather, let our lives lovingly [a]express truth [in all things, speaking truly, dealing truly, living truly]. Enfolded in love, let us grow up in every way and in all things into Him Who is the Head, [even] Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).

If we love Him in word & deed, we should be “growing up to be like Him”. In Job 1:1, Job was described as perfect & upright. Job 4:4 says “Thy words have upholden him that was falling, and thou hast strengthened the feeble knees.” What an example to us! Job was truly “growing up into Him”… love in action! I want to be an encourager... helping to lift those who are falling... those who have great need of Him!

No comments: