These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Talk is Cheap... Love Is An Action Verb

We’ve heard that phrase so many times… “talk is cheap” or how about “actions speak louder than words”? Growing up in a home with 4 children, I saw firsthand how words vs actions works. We would push Mom to the breaking point many times and then when we sensed her frustration, we would humbly slip up beside her and say, “I love you, Mom.” At that point our words didn’t carry much weight. I remember MANY times how she would say, SHOW me you love me! Or… if you love me, wash the dishes. If you love me, take out the trash. If you love me, quit fighting with your brothers. Bummer! I didn’t want to do those things…

I John 3:18 “My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.” The Amplified says “in practice and sincerity.” The Message says “My dear children, let's not just talk about love; let's practice real love. This is the only way we'll know we're living truly, living in God's reality. It's also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves.”

What does it really mean to love in deed and in truth? After all, love is the only thing that will last. Whether we realize it or not, love dictates every single thing we do. We will do things for love that we wouldn’t ordinarily do. Remember when you were first smitten with your spouse? Time was irrelevant. You didn’t watch the clock. You only wanted to spend time with him/her. You gave up sleep to spend that time. You didn’t mind that you would be a zombie the next day. Love was guiding your steps.

In Ezekiel 33:31 we read “..they come … and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness." We don’t just wake up and quit loving one day. It’s a process. It’s neglect… whether with our spouse, or with God or with both. This verse speaks of covetousness… (inordinately or wrongly desirous of wealth or possessions; greedy, eagerly desirous). Godliness with contentment is great gain. So, at some point we moved away from being content. We moved away from being godly. THAT’S when covetousness started moving in. Filling and emptying… filling and emptying… that’s how it works. He ordained it that way. He wants empty vessels to fill, but we have to make sure we let Him fill us and not something else.

Out of time... more to come... stay tuned... :)

No comments: