These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Monday, December 8, 2008

Our Words

We had an incredible weekend... busy, as usual. My boys have still been a little sick so with that comes a lot of grouchiness, bickering and "mean words". I guess that was somewhere in my subconscious when praying this morning... I wasn't seeking out this verse, but in a round-about way, ended up here...

James 3:10 "Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing..."

Oh... the power of our words! We can stir up a lot of stuff with them... determine how our day will actually be. This is an incredible chapter. Verse 6 talks about how the tongue is a fire...a world of wickedness set among our members--being itself ignited by hell--yikes! Verse 8 talks about how the human tongue can be tamed by no man. ... a restless evil full of deadly poison. Then, verse 9... "with it we bless the Lord & Father and with it we curse men who were made in God's likeness..." I need to remind my boys of that... when we are lashing out at that person who is under our skin... that person was made in the image of God...wow! That should shut our mouths!

The rest of the chapter goes on to say that where there's jealousy/envy & rivalry & selfish ambition, there'll be confusion--unrest, disharmony, rebellion... Lord, help us not to have selfish ambitions--no envy of other's gifts, talents, blessings! Because, yes, the enemy can have us be selfish over spiritual things as much as carnal things! He has given us all different talents, giftings, duties... no single one can disqualify or have more significance than another. We must, as a body, all work in harmony as one unit.

I can speak blessings or curses over every person that I come in contact with in a given day. Lord, let the words of my mouth & the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight! (Psalm 91:14)

1 comment:

Living the Good Life said...

Deb, I know why you ended up at this verse! Not to go into detail, but thanks for sharing your thoughts today!
Kayla