These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

BE THE CHURCH!

Over the past few months our pastors have really been leading our church to have our homes "BE THE CHURCH". I have definitely felt the atmosphere in our home change since we've been having these weekly family devotions. It has become easier and more open for our children to "dialogue" spiritual things. Now... let me clarify... we are not walking on clouds having spiritual moments every day! Is there such a home?

I said all that to share this... we had an out of town funeral and wake last week that required us to be in the car for a couple of hours 2 days in a row. I was amazed at all the dialogue that happened on those 2 trips. On one of the days we were listening to the radio as usual and Tanner asked what the song meant that says "there's a place where religion finally dies". This opened the door to discuss how we don't want to be religious and like the Pharisees of Jesus' day. He called them hypocrites! That song goes on to say "there's a place where I lose my selfish pride". I'm thankful for pastors that challenge us to push beyond our comfort zones on all levels. If you aren't having family devotion, please start one! Bryan has the boys read all the scripture readings. There's nothing like having your children read the Word to you!

I'd like to borrow a quote from Pastor Terry & Sis. Melani's blog (http://www.questmiles.blogspot.com/)... a kingdom thought~~ Until the home becomes the church, the church is merely religion. What more needs to be said?!

No comments: