These posts are simply taken from my daily prayer journal. I find that the words He speaks to me in my private prayer time are usually for others too...

Friday, February 13, 2009

Get Rid of the Stink!

Well, I'm off today and tackling some things I've been putting off. One of the big ones... the stink in the refrigerator! Some things you can put off for a while but you can't hide a stink for very long. Here's the crazy thing... there's not much in my fridge. It actually looks pretty clean. That's why I was so baffled. I opened every container and there it was... just a very, very small serving of soup that hadn't been eaten. UGH!!!! The stink radar was going off!!!

It's amazing how emptying that out and cleaning the bowl completely got rid of that horrid smell we had been fussing about every time we opened the fridge this week. I couldn't help but think of the "stinks" in our lives. How many times do we look pretty clean on the outside... we're doing everything right... yes, even praying! BUT... there may be that one little "unfinished soup" that we let sit in the back corner of our hearts that we didn't deal with. Oh, the stink will eventually surface and we'll have to deal with it! I want to empty out those things before they cause a stink! Search my heart every day, Lord!

Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

Jeremiah 17:10 "I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings."

3 comments:

Living the Good Life said...

Funny, but I have been cleaning up a little "stink" around here lately, too. Something about church Sunday, made me be so aware of my thoughts and actions. I am so aware of the big, but I want the small things gone as well!

You say things so well! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Kayla

Anonymous said...

Love that thought Deb! I want to get rid of the stink too!

~Val said...

You're just a walking, talking, daily devotional, always saying off-the-wall things to make people really just stop and think. I love this.